Restoran King Crab, Kelana Jaya

A few of my dearest friends brought me out for a "welcome back" dinner and we went to King Crab Restaurant in Kelana Jaya. King Crab is one those typical chinese seafood restaurants with fish tanks displaying their seafood and the setting is bright and noisy - the usual chinese restaurant. 

We took a while to order the food... busy catching up and since I was seeking their opinion on what car I should buy, they were too generous with suggestions. After a good half an hour, we finally placed our order. Surprisingly, it didn't take them very long to whip out the dishes. Not like as if the restaurant was empty... It was fairly busy. 

First dish up was the Specialty Golden Bean Curd with Mince Pork. You are probably wondering what is the green stuff on the bean curd... nope, it is not some homemade fermented bean curd or seaweed on top of the bean curd (though I have had seaweed bean curd before) but instead this is some vege... hence, so special... maybe I should have asked them what is the secret recipe... it was quite good, really.

Next was the vegetable with century egg and salted egg. The vege, I think is call "yuen choi" or "bayam" in malay... My mum does it with 3 type of eggs : )  This is a common dish. Nothing to shout about.

This next one is worth mentioning... one of my dear friend insist she must have squid... so we decided to give this try... surely, you have tried the salted egg yolk with crab, then the salted egg yolk with prawns and now, you can have salted egg yolk with squid fritters... [LOL] This is really nice though... try it.

For some reason, we had to have pork la... so, what other dish than the porkiest of pork, the "Tung Po Pork Belly"... since King Crab is more of a seafood restaurant, I guess this dish is not really in their league... the dish looked extremely inviting but when you poke your chopstick into it... the chopstick got stuck... the meat was a bit tough. I gave it the benefit of doubt and tried to convince my friends that the meat was actually quite moist inside... dry on the outside, moist on the inside... See? Well, I had a table of disagreement. So, King Crab, please take note, the Tung Po is really not so happening...

No, we are not salted egg yolk crazy to order the salted egg yolk prawns!!! We wanted a prawn dish but they ran out of the right type of prawns for some of the dishes. In the end, we ask them to just recommend something with a bit of gravy... and this is what we got. It had a fancy name with reference to some place in China but goodness me, the taste is just like salted egg yolk with a strong curry leave flavor. Maybe, the name should be referencing to another country, I think. Having said all that, I like this dish... it's tasty, the curry leave spices up the flavor and the prawns goes really well with some gravy.


Lastly, the Chilly Crab... Yeah, we are boring people... we just want our chilly crab. Unfortunately, the crabs were quite puny and I miss the big Sri Lankan crab which is abundant in Singapore. I wonder why... The sauce was very tangy and sour and I was complaining that it was too sour but my friend dismissed my remark and he clarified that this is "Sweet & Sour Chilly Crab" mah... so, what do you expect? Anyway [sulking]... not the best chilly crab I have had... this can be better.


Overall, this was a good meal. Not exceptional for me but fairly good service and no frills atmosphere. In terms of price, ~RM240... very reasonable. 

No.103-107, Jalan SS25/2
Taman Mewah Jaya
47301 Petaling Jaya
Selangor
Tel: (603) 7803 6999
Fax: (603) 7805 3282
http://www.kingcrab.com.my


Comments

BobbyQ said…
Can't tahan all the good food I am missing in Japan!
Danny Chen said…
Mr Quek, you must let me know when you ever drop by KL. We must go on a feast... mua ha ha ha

Popular posts from this blog

De Maw Chinese Restaurant (Next to PGRM, Cheras)

Hong Kong (Mar 20-22, 2009)

Overseas Restaurant, Jalan Imbi (May 1, 2009)

Broadway Parodies Lagi Lah 20 Sep 08

Thein Kee Steamboat and Chicken Rice