Bora Asmara, Sg Penchala (7 Mar 2009)

I have heard once upon a time, there is this wonderful restaurant hidden in the midst of the forbidden forest of the Kampung Sungai Penchala. According to the legend, Bora Asmara, was the gateway to the magical Balinese Kingdom of... blah blah blah... Sorry but I can't help it but that's how I felt... the sense and excitement of discovery. You really have to be there yourself to believe it. The moment I reached the entrance, I felt like I was transported back to Ubud in Bali and it was only a 10 minutes drive from Damansara Perdana.

I was impressed. As you walk through the balinese swing door entrance, you are greeted by this elevated lobby which unfolds to a courtyard. On your right were several little thatched roof huts for private dining that seats 6-8 and on the left of the courtyard, you can also enjoy your meal indoor. The elevated lobby itself houses several tables for those who doesn't mind the humidity and mossies. As for "moi", the indoor dining was "ze" preferred choice.



As I turned the menu open, reality hits me... huh? fish and chip? "Apa ni?" Yes, the first page of the menu was the western selection... so I flipped on... frantically... and there I found some familiar names... Well, Bora Asmara is not exactly an indonesian or balinese restaurant. It is a Malaysian restaurant la... So, you will find a mix of western and malaysian food. 

Anyway, we went on to order the Balinese dancing fish, kailan with "ikan kering" (salted fish) and pandan leave chicken. Sounds boring, huh? As for drinks, we ordered the lemongrass chiller and Indonesian Bandrek. I chose the Bandrek because the descriptions says "a good night cap". It is actually a ginger and lemongrass drink with brown sugar. Not sure if it is really a good night cap but it does help get rid of wind in my stomach. 

The balinese dancing fish was most impressive. The meat is sliced off the bone and deep fried. Normally, kerapu would be the fish of choice but I am quite sure, ours was "tilapia merah". The fish was served with a bowl of chilly and garlic sweet soy sauce but the fish was so fresh, it was good by itself. It is lightly battered. So crispy on the outside and the flesh piping hot inside. 


The pandan chicken was marinated with tumeric and deep fried. Slightly different from the ones I have had in the past. A bit too oily, rather tasteless , saved by the sweet chilly sauce but didn't really create any impression for me. The kailan with salted fish was alright... maybe because of the kurau salted fish.



Anyway, the service was very good. The meal arrived in a mere 10-15 minutes. Staff were very attentive and were quick to clear the plates and wipe the table etc.

The Balinese dancing fish and pandan chicken was RM19.90 each an the vegetable was RM11.90. Total bill inclusive of drinks RM78.65.

I am still impressed with the place itself, the ambience and of course the balinese dancing fish was very good. Excellent place to bring family and friends. I think Bora Asmara is also available for corporate events.

Bora Asmara
Lot 2933, Kampung Sungai Penchala
Jalan Damansara 60000 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: +603-77260964

Comments

reallyusefulme said…
Dear Danny Thank you for your sincere and nice comments. As we at Bora Ombak & Bora Asmara have always been working towards improving to give our valued customers value for money & maintaining its taste & quality. Do drop by someday for a visit & call me when you are coming ok.

haris Haikal (General Manager)
017 2265351

Popular posts from this blog

De Maw Chinese Restaurant (Next to PGRM, Cheras)

Hong Kong (Mar 20-22, 2009)

Overseas Restaurant, Jalan Imbi (May 1, 2009)

Maria's Cafe, Metropolitan Square (24 Feb, 2009)

Thein Kee Steamboat and Chicken Rice